The Ultimate Peanut Butter Pie Recipe
This Ultimate Peanut Butter Pie Recipe is composed of a chocolate pie crust loaded with a dreamy peanut butter filling and covered, absolutely covered in Reese’s, peanut butter chips and chocolate chips. WHOA. NELLY!
There is absolutely not one single person that can convince me that peanut butter isn’t one of the greatest ingredients ever created. I mean, when is something that awesome in dessert and in savory dishes (hello peanut chicken!!!) But here’s the issue, because I love peanut butter so much I’m also that girl with pretty high standards when it’s the star of the show.
Want me to prove it to you?
We tested until our tastebuds almost turned to peanut butter just to find the perfect classic peanut butter cookie recipe. You know the one, it’s got the fork prints in the top.
Or what about those killer lunch lady peanut butter bars? or Peanut butter banana bread?
I obsess about perfection just a little when it comes to peanut butter and it’s 100% the reason that for the last 12 years I’ve held off on peanut butter pie. None have been eye rolling good. But last weekend I made a pie throwing in random little bits of things I didn’t have full measurements of and my goodness.
What Ingredients Go into Peanut Butter Pie?
Peanut butter and chocolate…lots of it! That’s mostly what you need for this simple pie. You’ll need a few more things, but those two are the stars of this show! Here is your grocery list:
Chocolate Crust (see next section)
- Chocolate Graham Crackers
Peanut Butter Filling
- Cream Cheese
- Creamy Peanut Butter
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Powdered Sugar
- Cool Whip
- Mini Unwrapped Reese’s Cups
- Mini Wrapped Reese’s
- Peanut Butter Chips
- Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
The measurements for each ingredient can be found in the recipe card at the end of the post. You can also save and print the entire recipe from there.
Chocolate Pie Crust
Now, you’ve got two options for your chocolate pie crust.
- Chocolate Graham Cracker Pie Crust- This is actually a little more crumbly than a traditional graham cracker crust but it’s still my favorite. It has more balance in the sweet factor than an Oreo crust.
- Speaking of Oreo cookie crust…. that’s your second option. In fact, if you decide to go with that, here’s the recipe…
Oreo Pie Crust Recipe
- 25 Oreos, crushed
- 4 Tablespoons butter, melted
- Mix the Oreos and butter together in a bowl.
- Evenly spread the crust over a 9″ or 10″ deep dish, pressing the Oreos up the sides.
- Bake at 350 for 8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
How to Make Ultimate Peanut Butter Pie
I know pies can intimidate people, but there is no reason to stress about making this recipe. Each step is easy! Here are the basic steps:
For the Crust
- Preheat the oven.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Press the mixture into the pie plate, including up the sides.
- Bake and then set aside to cool.
For the Filling
- Beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the sweetened condensed milk and peanut butter and mix again until smooth.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the powdered sugar and beat again until everything combines.
- Add half of the Cool Whip and fold it into the peanut butter mixture. Add the rest of the Cool Whip and fold it in until combined.
- Scoop the filling into the crust and spread it evenly. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours.
- Top with all the candies and then drizzle with the melted chocolate.
The complete detailed instructions can be found in the recipe card at the end of this post.
How to Soften Cream Cheese
The cream cheese must be soft when you add it to this recipe. I can’t tell you how many times I go to make a recipe and it needs the butter or cream cheese to be soft and then I lose my steam because everything is still in the fridge. Ugh!
So if you can plan head a little, just pull the cream cheese out and sit it on the counter for a half hour. If you don’t plan ahead, have no fear! You can put the cream cheese into a zip top bag and run warm water over it for a few minutes. Crisis averted!
Can I Use Whipped Cream Instead of Cool Whip?
Yes, you can definitely used whipped cream if you want. I would definitely do stabilized whipped cream so it will hold its shape. Whip up about 2/3 cup of heavy whipping cream. Once whipped, it should measure about 1 1/4 cups.
How to Store Leftover Pie
Cover your leftovers and they will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. You can also wrap the leftovers in plastic wrap and then foil and place in the freezer. They will keep for up to 3 months.
I love all the combinations in this pie. It’s creamy but also crunchy with that crust. It’s smooth but also chunky with the candy bits on top. It is so easy but decadent enough for any occasion. This is the peanut butter pie I have been waiting for the last 12 years!
More Peanut Butter Desserts You’ll Love:
Our new book is now available!
From food prep to clean-up, this unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories, insights, and kid-friendly food activities to keep young chefs focused on fun in the kitchen.
The Ultimate Peanut Butter Pie
Chocolate Crust (see note)
- 2 Cups Crushed Chocolate Graham Crackers
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 8 Tablespoons Butter Melted
- 1 pinch Salt
Peanut Butter Filling
- 8 Ounces Cream Cheese Softened- see note
- 1/3 Cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 Cup Creamy Peanut Butter we like Skippy
- 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 1/4 Cups Cool Whip
- 1 Bag Mini Unwrapped Reeses
- 3.1 Ounce Bag Mini Reeses Halved
- 1/3 Cup Peanut Butter Chips
- 1/3 Cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips Milk is fine
- 1/4-1/3 cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips melted
For the Crust
Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Stir together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and salt. Add the melted butter and stir to combine.
Press into a 10″ deep dish pie plate, pressing the crumbs up the sides. A 9″ works as well, I personally love a thicker crust.
Bake for 8 minutes and set aside to cool.
For the Filling
In a bowl with a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the sweetened condensed milk and peanut butter and mix again until smooth.
Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add in the powdered sugar, beating again until the mixture evenly combines then scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Add half of the whipped cream and using a rubber spatula, fold until combined and lightened in color. Add the remaining whipped cream and fold until combined.
Very gently scoop all of the filling into the crust at once and then carefully spread all over the pie. Cover with plastic or a pie lid and refrigerate for a few hours.
Top with candies and then drizzle the melted chocolate over the top.
- Cream Cheese
It is essential that you allow the cream cheese to soften on the counter or the filling will be lumpy. It generally takes 15-30 minutes or place in a zip top bag and run warm water over it.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.